Sunday, February 14, 2010

Library database and it's functionality (or lack thereof)

I was really impressed, but probably not for the reason I should be. When the substitute teacher took us to the J. Sarge library's research database, it was like a vast compendium of materials to help one research just about any topic one cared to peruse. Being the type that enjoys the past (I've been accused of living there) I thought it was very interesting that there were articles from the early 20th century. I love to read how language was slightly different and to see some words that just aren't used anymore, or had different meanings altogether. I realize I'm getting away from the assignment here, but I couldn't help but just look at old articles on topics that are "hot-button" topics today. Of course, you're not going to see much about abortion before the 60's, and something like stem-cell research isn't even going to be a topic until the 90's, but it was still delightful to skim articles and see how attitudes have changed (and not changed for that matter.) OK, so while I briefly actually did some research on my topic, which at the time was still just an idea for a topic, I found the fertility of the database to be rich, if not especially intuitive functionally. Basically I'm glad the sub was there to show us how to use it, otherwise I would've been lost. I hope I can remember how to get everything I need from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment