Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The 'bank' needs a bailout.

In his essay "The 'Banking' Concept of Education," Paulo Freire posits that "Education is suffering from Narration sickness." I use this final sentence in his thesis paragraph because I believe this simple statement gets to the core of what he is trying to explain. Further in his words, he states "The contents,..." of teacher narration, "...whether values or empirical dimensions of reality, tend in the process of being narrated to become lifeless and petrified." What I believe this means is that the act of teaching, as a tool to educate minds, has become less a form of an actual process to develop the mind, as it has devolved into a mere regurgitation of facts. Furthermore, I believe Freire has a disdain for current teaching techniques that he sees as a machiavellian, contrived and soulless act that put's the balance of the teacher/student relationship into a corrupted dependancy of the phillistinain ignorant student upon the enlightened and noble grace of the teacher and their knowledge.
To desect this concept, these two sentences must be analyzed. To paraphrase: teaching a carriculum, the substance being either standards of living or literal boundries of ideas, have become nothing more than the repetition of facts, and mere memorization, rather than a true devotion to the process of education. Mental cultivation is being detrimentally effected by a loss of true instruction to a simple oration of facts.

1 comment:

  1. You introduce and integrate your quote from Freire. Be sure to check spelling (dissect). Do I sound like Freire? Overall, good work!

    ReplyDelete